I’ve written before about U.S. Navy Veterans with mesothelioma. Sadly, the asbestos exposure many veterans had while serving in the armed forces is what causes mesothelioma. Quite recently, I met with a mesothelioma victim diagnosed here in Wisconsin. He’s a veteran who served at Great Lakes Naval Base and on various U.S. Navy ships. In addition, he had a long history of working at Western Electric in Cicero, Illinois, where he was also exposed to asbestos laced products. As Veteran’s Day approaches, we need to remember all the Naval Veterans who have served and to honor those still with us, many of whom have asbestos-related diseases like malignant mesothelioma.
I also previously mentioned that my client had worked with asbestos at shipyards throughout the U.S. Even though he lived in Wisconsin, we made a claim against the entities involved with asbestos at those shipyards causing his mesothelioma. Some shipyards include: Alabama Drydock/Shipping Company, Avondale Shipyards, Brooklyn Shipyard, Long Beach Naval Shipyard, Pearl Harbor Shipyard, Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, and San Diego Naval Shipyard.
Mesothelioma caused by asbestos is a typical case handled by my Wisconsin personal injury law firm. So for my first post, I thought I’d describe one to give readers a general idea of what type of case I handle involving asbestos.
We will call the client Mr. Smith. Mr. Smith lived in Wisconsin and was diagnosed with pleural mesothelioma. It was discovered via biopsy and he had other medical tests including a PET Scan and lung tap. Mr. Smith was 65 years old. Out of high school, he joined the U.S. Navy where he served as an auxiliaryman working with asbestos in HVAC and mechanical systems. While in the Navy Reserves, he also worked with asbestos in various shipyards. Ships he remembers serving on included submarines and a destroyer and the shipyards he worked in included Baimbridge, Charleston, Portsmith, Norfolk, Philadelphia, and Groton. After serving in the Navy, Mr. Smith worked at a Wisconsin Electric Power Plant in a boiler room, another area replete with asbestos. He then worked at a large medical center in Wisconsin doing mechanical work. He was frequently in areas with pipes, boilers, and insulation all replete with asbestos.
When I met him, Mr. Smith was suffering with breathing difficulties caused by his mesothelioma. He was somewhat angry with asbestos companies, but was more scared and worried about his family. Mr. Smith died within nine months of hiring me to help and though it’s of little consolation to his family, we worked to obtain more than $1,500,000.00 for them. Every case is handled based on the facts, and the facts in his tragic case warranted this. Though I could not do anything for Mr. Smith’s fear and anger, I take comfort in knowing that his family is being helped by my efforts.